Subject: Call for papers--Archives and Records Association Annual Conference

Call for papers--Archives and Records Association Annual Conference

From: Catherine Dand <catherine.dand<-at->
Date: Sunday, January 10, 2016
Call for Papers

"Global Futures" - Conservation Stream
Archives and Records Association Annual Conference
London, UK
31 Aug - 2 Sep 2016

Conservation has always been a profession of creativity and
resourcefulness.  As the world moves forward, we face rapid growth
in many areas but the demands conservators face do not diminish in
number as a result of this.  This is an opportunity to assess the
challenges and the potential that the future offers us, and to share
our experiences of how we can face that future with the innovation
and ingenuity that we have done in the past.

Themes to be covered in the conference include, but are not
restricted to:

    Stability

        What are the current trends in conservations treatments and
        decisions, and how are these influenced by and adapted to
        the changing environment?

        Where are changes in our training and funding leading us?

    Boundaries

        As the conservation profession develops, are boundaries
        between areas of conservation increasing or decreasing?

        Do you work with colleagues from other disciplines who have
        positively influenced the way you work for the better and
        you are willing to share these collaborative approaches?
        Views from those working in allied fields would be very
        welcome.

    Dissemination

        How are new methods and more numerous opportunities for
        communication helping advocacy and dissemination of
        knowledge inside and outside of the profession?

        Does the increased availability of information influence the
        options we have for conservation treatment; the materials,
        equipment and techniques that we use?

    Innovation

        What impact do emerging technologies have on the way we
        carry out our fundamental tasks?

        Does the speed at which new technologies are evolving affect
        our decisions and approaches to the care and treatment of
        our collections?

    Communities and Collections

        The partnerships we are developing come in all shapes and
        sizes.  How is this improving our understanding and use of
        our collections?  How can we harness these relationships to
        improve the ongoing and future preservation of our holdings?

        As we move forward materials within collections are becoming
        increasingly diverse.  How are our options and decisions
        regarding the treatment of our collections shaped by
        increasingly varied materials?

    Responsibilities

        What effect does the expectation of availability and
        immediacy have on our services?

        Are the responsibilities of the conservator changing?  How
        is our role affected by the evolving environment: shifting
        technologies, more varied materials, financial pressures,
        demands for advocacy?

You can participate in the following ways:

    Individual papers (individual contributions of no more than 25
    minutes)

    Panel sessions (up to 3 speakers of no more than 60 minutes)

    Tutorials: Single topic presentations to smaller groups of
    individuals (20 minute sessions, generally for up to 15
    participants

    workshops (30 minute practical sessions) (up to 4 participants
    for no more than 60 minutes)

        Presentations from postgraduate researchers and the skills
        trainee communitY

The deadline for submission of proposals is Friday 29 January 2016.

Full details of the conference call for papers is found on

    <URL:http://www.archives.org.uk/ara-in-action/the-ara-conference.html>

You can submit your proposal, using the submission form at

    <URL:http://www.archives.org.uk/images/Conference_2016/ARA_Conference_Submission_Jan2016.doc>

to ara<-at->archives<.>org<.>uk

Speakers will be reimbursed travel expenses and will receive free
conference registration for the day on which they are speaking.
International speakers will be reimbursed travel expenses within the
UK only.

For further information or discussion please contact
catherine.dand<-at->york<.>ac<.>uk

                 Distributed: Sunday, January 17, 2016