Subject: Wooden tacks

Wooden tacks

From: Meaghan Monaghan <mmonaghan<-a>
Date: Sunday, December 14, 2014
At Statens Museum for Kunst, Denmark in 2013 we have discovered
something very interesting while doing technical research and
conservation treatment on five 17th-century flower paintings by
Elias van den Broeck (Antwerp 1649/50-Amsterdam 1708).  Two of the
five paintings appeared to be mounted on their original stretchers
and have wood tacks/pegs holding the canvas to the stretcher.  The
other three works, and two work by the same artist at the
Rijksmuseum, show evidence of being previously mounted this way.  I
am searching for information about the use of wood tacks/pegs and
other similar mounting techniques during this period in canvas
painting.  I have seen three publications related to this: Costaras,
1998; Young and Hibberd, 2000; and Quandt, 1971.  I am wondering if
any of you have come across similar mountings or information of this
sort.  I would be interested in photographs, reference material, as
well as artists and dates for anything similar.  Also, if you could
point me towards someone who might be a good contact regarding this
topic that would also be wonderful?

Meaghan K. Monaghan
Mellon Fellow in Paintings Conservation
Walters Art Museum