Subject: Scanners and photocopiers

Scanners and photocopiers

From: Dave Allen <allen<-a>
Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014
Anne E. Downey <adowney<-a t->amphilsoc< . >org>

>Our library is interested in purchasing either a book scanner or a
>photocopier with a bevel-edge platen for producing copies from bound
>volumes.  I am concerned that a scanner (in addition to being
>expensive) will be time-consuming and difficult to operate.  Can
>anyone comment on their experiences with either type of machine?

I used one years ago when I worked in the Philosophy Department at
University of Guelph and it is a lot of hard work.  Hire a student
or a day labourer and train them.

Dave Allen
Beddall Bookbinding Conservation and Restoration (Ret'd)
A - 8B1 HaiRun Condominiums
Chaoyang District
2 Jiang Tai Lu
Beijing CN 100016

                Distributed: Saturday, November 29, 2014