Subject: Mold on EVA

Mold on EVA

From: Dave Allen <allen<-a>
Date: Saturday, November 22, 2014
Abigail Bainbridge <bainbridge.abigail<-a t->gmail< . >com> writes

>I have been having EVA from Conservation by Design go mouldy within
>two months lately; they say the supplier has changed the formula and
>they're working on packaging that would eliminate contact with air
>but in the meantime can't guarantee any shelf life at all once it's
>opened. ...

Store in the fridge if you must but be very careful not to approach
freezing temperatures.  It will solidify an separate very quickly
destroying it's useability.

As a bookbinder I found that a few drops of 5% thymol tincture
applied to a small piece of cotton wool fastened to the inside of
the lid of the container controlled most fungus in pva, eva and even
starch paste.  But the main thing is to never dip a brush in supply
jar, always pour a small quality into a small working jar and then
get the lid back on quickly on the supply container.

Dave Allen
Beddall Bookbinding Conservation and Restoration (Retired)
A - 8B1 HaiRun Condominiums
Chaoyang District
2 Jiang Tai Lu
Beijing CN 100016

                Distributed: Saturday, November 29, 2014