Subject: FTIR

FTIR

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2014
I am looking into getting an FTIR for our conservation lab, and
would like ask list members for advice.  What makes and models of
FTIR are people using in their conservation setting?  Are there
particular models that are recommended?  Are there any
recommendations on capabilities and add-ons that are
necessary/highly recommended for museum conservation labs? What sort
of library of spectra would be required?  What are the uses you use
it for?

At the ICOM-CC trade show, Bruker had a very interesting model that
looked like it would suit our needs, and is much cheaper than
anything else I looked at so far.  Have you encountered their FTIRs
in a museum setting?  If so, how were they?

I like the idea of a relatively portable model that is easy to use
for non-technical staff, and has non-destructive, reflectance
spectra capabilities.  I'm thinking of the kind where you can place
it in front of an object and analyse the object's surface without
any sampling or interference.  How much does surface dirt matter in
these circumstances?  Do you still get readable spectra?  Or is
destructive sampling really required to get a good idea of the
material composition?  How deep to these readings go; are they just
surface readings or do you get interference from the substrate?

Is there any comment on the value of a Raman microscope over an FTIR
spectrophotometer?

Any advice you have would be most welcome.  I am just in the initial
stages of investigating what is out there, and what is most needed.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira
The Domain
Private Bag 92018
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142, New Zealand
+64 9 306 7070ext7304

                Distributed: Thursday, November 13, 2014