Subject: Call for participants--Personal digital archiving

Call for participants--Personal digital archiving

From: Michael Ashenfelder <mashe<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Call for Participation

Personal Digital Archiving Conference
New York
April 24-26, 2014

We are pleased to announce that the Personal Digital Archiving
Conference 2015 will take place in New York City for the first time.
The conference will be hosted by New York University's Moving Image
Archiving and Preservation program April 24 to 26, 2015.

This year's conference will differ slightly from the Personal
Digital Archiving (PDA) Conferences of previous years.  We will have
two full days of presentations focused on a set of themes and we
will set aside a third day for workshops covering useful digital
tools.

The conference program committee seeks proposals for:

    10 to 20 minute presentations
    5 minute lightning talks
    Posters (including demos)
    Workshops, particularly emphasizing software tools (taking place
    on the third day).

The program committee will try to cluster shorter presentations into
panels and encourage discussion among the panelists.  For the day of
workshops, we are seeking hands-on learning focused on useful
digital tools.  We anticipate four half-day workshops, with two in
the morning and two in the afternoon.

Our personal and professional records are now primarily digital, and
our lives are geared toward constant sharing of these works, from
street protests to baby photos.  The complexity of these growing
collections in every sphere of our lives cannot be overstated.  The
Personal Digital Archiving 2015 Conference welcomes a broad
community, working to ensure long-term access to these personal
collections and archives.  We would like to see presentations that
show how an individual would approach a personal collection and how
a closely tied group (such as a family or a community organization)
would approach their shared collection.

The array of physical and digital formats that comprise any
collection is ever expanding and shifting.  Approaches to managing
these collections differ greatly between the broad spectrum of
archival best practices and "better than leaving it in the basement"
practices.

Personal Digital Archiving 2015 invites proposals on the full range
of topics relevant to personal digital archiving.  We particularly
encourage papers and presentations around community groups, activist
groups and their use of digital media, as well as personal/familial
collections and homebrewed digital solutions.

Presentations might address challenges, such as:

    Ubiquitous recording devices--such as cell phones--for videos
    and photos

    Action cameras (such as GoPro)

    Cloud storage

    Social media: Vine, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, blogs etc.

    Email

    Open-source, low-cost digital tools

    From an organizational perspective: community outreach and
    economic models

    Security: issues of access, encryption, reliability and safety

    Archival and library issues associated with collection,
    appraisal, ingest and description

    Migration of content from obsolete or outdated storage media.

If you wish to submit an abstract for the conference, please fill
out the form at

    <URL:http://bit.ly/1t8x3Td>

or

    <URL:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1coPX4s0oHnUdsSFFTKNmd1WolWhQDxn6UAV6Wk3ThXA/viewform>

Submissions should include:

        The title of your presentation

        For 10 to 20 minute presentations, a 300 word abstract

        For lightning talks and posters, a 150 to 300 word abstract

        For workshop proposals, a 150 to 300 word curriculum
        overview, including approximate number of hours needed, what
        tools will be taught, and computing infrastructure
        requirements

        For panel proposals, a 150 to 300 word overview of the topic
        and suggestions for additional presenters

        A brief biographical sketch or CV (no more than 2 pages)

Presentation, poster, lightning talk and workshop submissions are
due Monday, December 8, 2014, 11:59 pm EST.

For more information on previous PDA conferences, please visit:

    <URL:http://www.personalarchiving.com/2012/01/preliminary-schedule-pda-2012/>

    <URL:http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2014/04/a-report-on-the-personal-digital-archiving-2014-conference/>

Registration, Program, Housing, and other information will be posted
in early 2015.  For further information, email
personaldigitalarchiving<-a t->gmail< . >com

Co-sponsored by NYU's Moving Image Archiving and Preservation (MIAP)
<URL:http://www.nyu.edu/tisch/preservation program>, the NYU
Libraries <URL:http://library.nyu.edu/about/about.html> and the
Coalition for Networked Information <URL:http://www.cni.org>

                 Distributed: Friday, October 24, 2014