Subject: Lectures on plastic

Lectures on plastic

From: Ann N'Gadi <ngadia<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2014
"Lessons From Our Lives with Plastic"
Q?rious Theater
National Museum of Natural History
October 21, 2014
6pm-7:30pm

Featuring Odile Madden, Research Scientist, Museum Conservation
Institute

We live in the Age of Plastic, surrounded by synthetic materials
that have transformed our lives in mundane, amusing, and profound
ways.  Pervasive and terrifically useful, plastic is still a young
and evolving material.  What does the evolution of plastic polymers
show us about the unexpected consequences--such as material failure,
resource depletion, waste management, and risks to human health and
the environment--of commercial innovation?  What are the successes
and what are the tradeoffs to using this astonishingly diverse
material?  And what more can we learn from the use of synthetic
materials to motivate change and drive continued innovation?
Register online

    <URL:http://go.si.edu/site/Calendar?id=100321&view=Detail>

Part of the monthly Anthropocene: Life in the Age of Humans series
hosted by the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History

    <URL:https://support.si.edu/site/SPageServer?pagename=life_in_anthropocene>.

                Distributed: Saturday, October 18, 2014