Subject: Flame retardants

Flame retardants

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-a>
Date: Monday, October 13, 2014
Berit Moller <beritmoller2<-a t->gmail< . >com> writes

>How and what can I use as a flame retardant on paintings?  I am
>looking for ways to protect paintings against flames.  Can someone
>suggest a method or materials that are non-destructive to the
>structure and materials of painting of old as well as new origins
>(traditional and synthetic materials).

I would focus more on fire prevention and fire response capabilities
in the surrounding environment rather than applying anything
directly to the painting.  If you've got flames coming in contact
with the painting, then you've got bigger problems than one artwork
going up in smoke.

Fire retardants are bad news in many respects, not just in terms of
aging and stability (toxicity, environmental toxins, etc.), so
you're better off concentrating on a fireproof display case rather
than a fireproof painting.  The only exception I could think of
would be if the painting itself was made of cellulose nitrate, or
some other material that might spontaneously combust, but even
there, I would keep the object in well ventilated cold storage
rather than apply fire retardants. Hope that helps.  Val

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira