Subject: Online course on conservation of plastics

Online course on conservation of plastics

From: Helen Alten <helen<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2014
"The Problem with Plastics"
On-line Short Course
Instructor: Diana Komejan
October 20-24, 2014
Location: Online at <URL:http://www.museumclasses.org>

collecting includes that most fragile of materials--plastic.  Not
only is it in our collections, but it is used to house our
collections, too.  What problems have you seen?  What problems have
others seen?  What materials are best?  What can we, as caretakers,
do to minimize long-term damage?  Join Diana in this mini-course for
discussing care and deterioration of plastics.  Bring any questions
you have about plastics in your museum.

Diana Komejan graduated from Sir Sandford Fleming Colleges Art
Conservation Techniques program in 1980.  She has worked for Parks
Canada; Kelsey Museum, University of Michigan; Heritage Branch Yukon
Territorial Government; National Gallery of Canada; Canadian Museum
of Nature; Yukon Archives and the Antarctic Heritage Trust and is
currently teaching Conservation Techniques in the Applied Museum
Studies Program at Algonquin College in Ottawa.  In 1995 she was
accredited in Mixes Collection with The Canadian Association of
Professional Conservators.  Her work as a conservator has been quite
broad in scope, having worked with historic sites, archaeological
excavations and museums.  In addition to lab treatments, Diana has
broad archaeological experience, including the excavation of
mammoths and dinosaur tracks.

For more information or to sign up for the course, go to:
<URL:http://www.collectioncare.org> or
<URL:http://www.museumclasses.org>

Helen Alten
Northern States Conservation Center