Subject: Web resources for artists

Web resources for artists

From: Becky Cameron <beckycameronart<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 2, 2014
As a paper conservator and practicing artist, I sometimes get asked
by fellow artists what materials are best to use so that their work
doesn't degrade fast.  I can give advice about paper, but am
wondering if there are any good online resources I could direct
people to?  I've come across MFA Boston's Cameo materials database,
and resources at Image Permanence Institute.  Are there any that are
aimed at practicing artists, or could be easily used to compare the
relative merits of materials?

On a similar note, when faced with a random but interesting material
in the studio, are there any simple tests for its stability that
readers could recommend?  I've been doing some simple light-fastness
testing of inks by taping samples up on my sunny window.  Is there
much efficacy in heat aging materials by putting them in an oven on
low heat for 24hrs say?

Becky Cameron
Paper Conservator / Artist
Dunedin, NZ