Subject: Silicone release adhesive tape

Silicone release adhesive tape

From: Sandra Amann <studio<-a>
Date: Monday, September 22, 2014
Caroline Tragett <caroline_tragett<-a t->yahoo< . >co< . >uk> writes

>I am looking for an alternative to felt or velvet tape for lining
>frame rebates for easel paintings.  Some of our more modern works
>are susceptible to sticking to the fabric tapes and I would really
>like to use a silicone release type tape but cannot find a source of
>this anywhere.  Does anyone have any suggestions of suppliers or
>ideas for alternative products?

We hardly use the felt tapes any longer for just the same reason,
many surfaces stick to them.  We use two alternatives:

    Volara
    Foam Rabbet Tape
    made by Lineco
    <URL:http://www.lineco.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=44&primary=1&parentId=&navTree[]=44>

and there is the more expensive tape that comes in various widths
and thicknesses:

    Gore gasket tape
    <URL:http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/sealants/gaskets/gore_gasket_tape.html?isAjax=true>
    <URL:http://www.gore.com/MungoBlobs/864/954/GIS%206580%20Gskt%20Tape%20DS.pdf>

I'm not sure about the availability of these products in England but
it seems at least the GORE company has links to European suppliers
and I presume that Lineco will ship there if you can't find them in
the store.  Hope this is helpful,

Gail Mitchell
Amann + Estabrook Conservation
New York, NY

               Distributed: Thursday, September 25, 2014