Subject: Laminated parchment manuscript

Laminated parchment manuscript

From: Barry Knight <drbarryknight<-a>
Date: Sunday, September 21, 2014
Giada Genua <giadagenua<-a t->yahoo< . >it> writes

>I am a student at the final year in book conservation at University
>of Palermo in Italy.  I am working on my dissertation on a medieval
>liturgical parchment manuscript (XII century) that was laminated in
>the 1960s with a plastic film and a synthetic adhesive that I have
>to identify.  ...

I suggest you read:

    Wouters, Jan; Gancedo, Gely; Peckstadt, An; Watteeuw, Lieve.
    "The Codex Eyckensis, an illuminated manuscript on parchment
    from the 8th century AD.  Laboratory investigation and removal
    of a 30 year old PVC lamination"
    in ICOM Committee for Conservation, 9th triennial meeting,
    Dresden, German Democratic Republic, 26-31 August 1990

and:

    Wouters, Jan; Gancedo, Gely; Peckstadt, An; Watteeuw, Lieve.
    "The conservation of the Codex Eyckensis: the evolution of the
    project and the assessment of materials and adhesives for the
    repair of parchment"
    in The Paper Conservator, Vol 16 (1992), 67-77

This is a very thorough investigation of the problem of a laminated
parchment manuscript, how to reverse the lamination, and subsequent
treatment and consolidation of the parchment.

Barry Knight
St Albans
England

               Distributed: Thursday, September 25, 2014