Subject: Labels for boxes

Labels for boxes

From: Joanna McMann <joanna_mcmann<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 18, 2014
We have been using Avery labels (style 5163) to record accession
numbers and other relevant information on our archival boxes.  After
about 5 years the adhesive on the labels dries out and the labels
fall off. In some cases Archivists have applied packing tape over
lifting labels, but these too eventually fall off.  The boxes are
acidic and are kept at our warehouse which has a drier RH.  It is
also dusty there, but the Archivists ensure the boxes are clean of
dust before applying the labels.  In many cases information is also
recorded with a sharpie, but this information is only minimal and
there can be issues of legibility.

Are there better labels out there we can use for this purpose?

Joanna P McMann
Assistant Conservator
Archives of the NWT
Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre
Department of Education, Culture and Employment
Government of the Northwest Territories
PO Box 1320
4750 48th Street
Yellowknife NT X1A 2L9

               Distributed: Saturday, September 20, 2014