Subject: Cleaning wool on suction table

Cleaning wool on suction table

From: Rachel Dessaints <rachel.dessaints<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2014
I am thinking of cleaning a late 17th century book cover (woven
wool) on a suction table.  The obvious problem is the possibility of
it shrinking a little, which would require me to stretch it back out
afterwards so that it still fits the book; this would be a little
tricky as it is quite aged.  Also it has a true 'moire' imprint on
the recto side.  I have done some testing with drops of dionised
water (photos before and after, direct and with a binocular
microscope), and the 'moire' doesn't seem to have changed at all.
Does anyone have any experience, tips, and/or cautions to share?

Rachel Dessaints
Restauratrice, Atelier des Textiles
Centre de conservation du Quebec
1825, rue Semple
Quebec G1N 4B7
418-643-7001 ext 315

               Distributed: Saturday, September 20, 2014