Subject: Laminated parchment manuscript

Laminated parchment manuscript

From: Giada Genua <giadagenua<-a>
Date: Sunday, September 7, 2014
I am a student at the final year in book conservation at University
of Palermo in Italy.  I am working on my dissertation on a medieval
liturgical parchment manuscript (XII century) that was laminated in
the 1960s with a plastic film and a synthetic adhesive that I have
to identify.  The adhesive is exposed along the edges and creates
many problems, especially because it blocks the leaves preventing
safe consultation; the film hasn't changed its color or its
flexibility, but in some points it is detached.  The subject of my
thesis will be the conservation treatment of the manuscript,
exploring the feasibility of a safe removal of the lamination or, at
least, of the exposed adhesive without any harm to the parchment,
the inks and the pigments of the decoration.  Any suggestions about
this situation?  Does someone know of a similar case or have a
bibliography to suggest to me?  Do you have any idea about the
materials using for the lamination during that period?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Giada Genua

               Distributed: Saturday, September 13, 2014