Subject: Storing paintings

Storing paintings

From: Marcia Bassett <marcia.bassett<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
We recently unpacked a painted sculpture that showed signs of
surface discoloration after being stored in a wood crate for over 5
years. Now, we are addressing other pieces in our collection stored
in wood crates.  Would anyone be able to recommend the best
long-term storage solution for:

    Paintings made up of oil colors and chalk on untreated mild
    steel panels.  The work is currently stored in wood crates

    Paintings with a thick build up of oil paint on the surface of
    the canvas.  Due to the thickness of the surface, we were
    advised not to remove the piece from its wood crate

I have always steered clear of wood as long-term storage solution so
I am not confident that a wood crate is the best storage solution.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Marcia Bassett
Studio One
marcia.bassett<-a t->gmail< . >com

               Distributed: Saturday, September 13, 2014