Subject: Handling mannequins

Handling mannequins

From: Kate Douglas <kate.douglas<-a>
Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2014
The National Gallery of Victoria regularly presents displays of
fashion using a wide variety of mannequins.  Textile conservators
and installation crews handle mannequins for dressing, movement to
photography, movement to exhibition spaces etc.  This process
currently relies on lifting mannequins on and off trolleys and
plinths.  We are aware that the awkward shape of the mannequin, the
bending position of the person lifting, and the repetition of this
movement is a possible risk for injury.  We are currently
investigating any equipment or methods which we could implement to
minimalise the strains of lifting mannequins (both dressed and
undressed) on textile conservation staff.  I would be interested in
any feedback of equipment or ideas others have found useful to move
mannequins.

Kate Douglas
Conservator of Textiles
National Gallery of Victoria