Subject: Sketch on waxed canvas

Sketch on waxed canvas

From: Moya Dumville <moya<-a>
Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2014
We have an oversized sketch for a glass panel on what looks like
a waxed or otherwise coated canvas support.  The support is
significantly soiled, has tears and severe creases, and planar
distortion from having been stored rolled.  The material gives off a
sharp musty odor.

Our proposed treatment is to surface clean with soot sponges,
attempt to flatten on suction table with gentle heat, mend tears
with pressure sensitive tape such as Filmoplast P.

We would welcome any comments on treating these and identifying the
support material.

Luisa Casella and Moya Dumville
Westlake Conservators

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 23, 2014