Subject: RoTile

RoTile

From: Frances Keating <f.keating<-a>
Date: Monday, August 18, 2014
I have been doing a little research into 'tyre-savers' and am
wondering if anyone with vintage cars in their museum collection has
considered using them as an alternative to axle stands?  The
manufacturer (I'm scoping 'RoTile') product feature information is
pretty convincing--it claims that the device prevents 'ovalisation'
during longer-term stationary periods which suggests that they may
be fit for museum purpose, providing of course the tyre-saver fits
the tyre perfectly.  The explanation reads thus

    "when in use, the central cradle lowers and the sides raise,
    creating a supporting arc which significantly increases the
    contact area of the tyres.  In this way the weight of the
    vehicle is discharged in a distributed way and the tyre does not
    flatten"

Since the justification for supporting cars on axle stands, as far
as I was aware, was to avoid developing flat spots from contact with
the ground and subsequently losing air pressure, are these
tyre-savers a much neater way of doing the same job?  Another
potential plus point of the tyre-saver would seem that if you get
the higher spec version made of rubber instead of plastic it
isolates the tyre from the ground whilst blocking any extreme cold
temperature or humidity change.  I would really like to hear from
anyone with any experience of using similar equipment to support car
wheels/tyres, or has reason to refute the claim that a tyre-saver
has the ability to prevent flat spots.

Frances Keating
Conservator
+44 161 606 0113