Subject: Thrips

Thrips

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Jutta Keddies <alakini<-a t->hotmail< . >com> writes

>Has anyone had experience with thrips in mainly paper based
>collections?  They are a real pest.  In the cupboards, storage
>boxes, in the frames, behind the glass, everywhere.  They might not
>cause great harm, but visitors viewing the insects behind the glass
>instead of the art is not really what one wants.  The Collection is
>housed in a listed building in the countryside.  It is also a rather
>damp climate there. Any suggestions how to get rid of them or at
>least some of them?

Applying an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach, with the
minimal use of chemical insecticide is the best way to approach this
problem.  Thrips, Taeniothrip sp., can bite people, and the
carcasses can possibly lead to secondary infestations in the
collections.

If the person or group managing the building facilities does not
have IPM capability, then I'd suggest contracting with a Pest
Control Operator in the area who does apply IPM methods and can give
you a full assessment of the problem.  Most likely there is
vegetation right around the building which should be removed or at
least cut back.

Look for faulty door sweeps that might be allowing the thrips, and
other pests, to enter.  Same with window seals and other possible
structural entry points.

Step up housekeeping to remove dead insects regularly.  Seal or
reframe the artwork to exclude the pests with backing boards and
aluminized tape to seal the rabbet.

This website details a 'green' comprehensive thrip control approach
that is consistent with IPM in museums.

    <URL:http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/thrips-control/>

Paul S. Storch
Sites Collections and Exhibits Liaison