Subject: LED UV light source for compound microscope

LED UV light source for compound microscope

From: Emma Boyce <emma<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 31, 2014
We have a Wild compound microscope for cross-section analysis of
paint samples and pigment identification.  We are currently having
made new LED light sources in both visible and UV light for the
microscope.  Our question is regarding the UV LED light.

We have been supplied with a LED light at 365 nm and advised that we
do not need to use any filters.  We are finding however that the
light source is rather dim and not much fluorescence is visible.  It
may be that a stronger light source would help, but we are concerned
that we may in fact need a light source with a range (355-425 nm has
been suggested) and a transmission filter.

Is any body using LED UV light bulbs for their microscopy?  If so,
can you advise us if 365 nm would be suitable if the power were
boosted, or if we do in fact require a light source that works
through a broader region?  In addition, would we get better results
with a filter?  (In terms of safety, our supplier has assured us
that no filter is required.)

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 2, 2014