Subject: Araldite

Araldite

From: Despoina Kotzamani <kotzamani<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Eleni Loizides <eleni.loizidou<-a t->cytanet< . >com< . >cy> writes

>Our metal conservation lab has been using Araldite AY103 resin and
>HY956 hardener mix for the gapfilling and reconstruction of (but
>also in some cases adhering) archaeological copper alloy artefacts.

We have tested a lot of materials even epoxy resins for gapfilling
and reconstruction of archeological copper alloys.  In the case of
epoxy resins we first isolated the attached areas with 10% paraloid
B72 in acetone.  Although we prefer not to gapfill metal artifacts
in general and in particular archeological ones, if is
indispensable, we just try to support them from the back or interior
with plexiglas mounts or, depending on the object, use backing films
of nonwoven glass tissue attached with 10% Paraloid B72 in acetone.
However in many cases we found out that a very good and reversible
material is a mixture of paraloid B72 20-30% in acetone with
microbaloons (silica microspheres) in the form of a putty. Pigments
can be mixed too or at the end the surface can be retouched.

If you need more details please do not hesitate to contact

Despoina Kotzamani
Metals, glass and bony materials conservation lab
Benaki Museum
6 Hesiodou St, 106 74
Athens, Greece
+30 210 3671036