Subject: Bulbs for micropipettes

Bulbs for micropipettes

From: Douglas Sanders <dohsande<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2014
I am looking to order new bulbs for use with micropipettes in a
paper conservation lab--the sort used for delivery of paper pulp for
fills, and solvents for tape removal over suction platen.  I've
tried three types of bulbs in the past but all have problems of one
sort or another. The inexpensive natural latex ones cross-link in no
time and become brittle like old rubber bands.  The large
old-fashioned dark red and black type also cross-link in short
order.  A newer sort, made of vinyl sold by Grainger looked
promising, but we discovered today that the 'chuck' which holds the
pipette is a different material and dissolves during prolonged use
with acetone.  Has anyone had luck with a particular type?

Doug Sanders
Paper Conservator
E. Lingle Craig
Preservation Lab
Indiana University Bloomington Libraries

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 19, 2014