Subject: UV filtering materials

UV filtering materials

From: Barry Knight <drbarryknight<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Heather Pigat <heather.pigat<-a t->utoronto< . >ca> writes

>... UV filtering plexi on the works themselves and UV
>filtering blinds.  However, one particular group of oils on canvas
>cannot be fitted with UV plexi, so we are investigating the use of
>UV films on the window glass.
>but would like to hear from those of you who have employed UV films
>on the window glass.  Our concern is the heat gain on the glass,
>which has caused the glass to break. ...

I think all the films mentioned would be satisfactory from the
technical point of view.  I think your choice is more likely to be
based on aesthetics: does the film give an unacceptable colour cast
to the works being displayed, and does it alter the appearance of
the glass unacceptably when seen from the outside?

I was more interested in your concern that the film could cause the
glass to break due to thermal gain.  I have never heard of this
happening. Can you give any information about this?

Barry Knight
St Albans
England

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 19, 2014