Subject: UV filtering materials

UV filtering materials

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Monday, July 14, 2014
Heather Pigat <heather.pigat<-a t->utoronto< . >ca> writes

>... would like to hear from those of you who have employed UV films
>on the window glass.  Our concern is the heat gain on the glass,
>which has caused the glass to break.  Any and all insights and
>advice would be gratefully received.

We much prefer sheets of tinted Plexiglas hung from two hooks at the
top of the window.  Films applied to directly to windows can damage
old glass, and can be difficult to handle.

The sheets come in a range of filtration and two colors, bronze and
gray. (In most cases we pick the warmer bronze color).  Because
there's plenty of air circulating, there are no problems with
condensation, the windows can be cleaned, and the sheets can be
removed easily.  We recommend that several different filtration
levels be tested before making decision about which ones people
prefer.  The high levels of filtration usually look fine.  Reducing
glare from sunny windows also makes the art easier to look at.

Barbara Appelbaum

Appelbaum and Himmelstein LLC
444 Central Park West
New York, NY 10025