Subject: Araldite

Araldite

From: Tom James Braun <tom.braun<-a>
Date: Monday, July 14, 2014
Eleni Loizides <eleni.loizidou<-a t->cytanet< . >com< . >cy> writes

>Our metal conservation lab has been using Araldite AY103 resin and
>HY956 hardener mix for the gapfilling and reconstruction of (but
>also in some cases adhering) archaeological copper alloy artefacts.

For what it is worth, I heard that epoxies were generally not
recommended for copper alloys because most epoxies contain amine
groups in one of the precursor compounds, and amines react poorly
with copper in the long term, in much the same way that ammonia can
dissolve copper and cause stress-corrosion cracking in copper
alloys.  I also would not pick epoxy on archaeological metal due to
difficulties in reverse-ability, but that is another matter.  Good
luck

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 19, 2014