Subject: Cleaning photographic negatives

Cleaning photographic negatives

From: Heida Shoemaker <heidaqs<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2014
I would be interested in suggestions for cleaning a large group of
b/w negatives (polyester: post-1960, primarily 2 1/4 by 2 1/4
inches) in preparation for digitization.

I will be recommending canned air and a carbon anti-static brush for
dust removal.  I am considering what to recommend for the second
step of fingerprint/stain/accretion removal.  My thoughts are:
isoproponol, and, as a last resort, Pec-12 (due to toxic nature,
only for stubborn fingerprints), applied with cotton swabs.

I am a photo conservator, and will be training the technicians who
will be doing this work, so there will be initial training by a
conservator, but the majority of the project will be then done by
the technicians, without supervision.

                   Distributed: Sunday, July 13, 2014