Subject: Araldite

Araldite

From: Eleni Loizides <eleni.loizidou<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Our metal conservation lab has been using Araldite AY103 resin and
HY956 hardener mix for the gapfilling and reconstruction of (but
also in some cases adhering) archaeological copper alloy artefacts.

We are currently looking into replacing this material as we have
recently noticed in a couple of instances that the clear resin
undergoes a colour change upon setting and when in contact with the
original object surface (it obtains a light blue colour similar to
azurite).  We have noticed this during both retreatment of
previously conserved objects but also in cases of "new
conservation".

I would be interested in

    Hearing from anyone who may have experienced similar issues with
    this specific Araldite or any other resin used in copper alloy
    gapfilling/adhering/reconstructions

    Suggestions as to alternative resins that could be used.  The
    requirements for this material include (mechanical or chemical)
    reversibility/removability of the fill without affecting the
    original object, ability to colour with integration of pigments
    upon mixing and retouching upon setting, ability to work
    material into correct shape (we use dental tools to this end),
    long term stability of product (good ageing properties)

    Hearing from anyone who has used TECHNOVIT 5071 for this
    purpose.  I have found references for this being a reversible
    material with good working properties but have not yet found out
    any information regarding long term performance etc.

Eleni Loizides
Conservator,
Department of Antiquities, Cyprus
+357 22865812