Subject: UV filtering materials

UV filtering materials

From: Heather Pigat <heather.pigat<-a>
Date: Friday, July 11, 2014
We have an extensive "Art on Campus" program with over 1000 works
out on display throughout the buildings on our main campus.  As you
would expect, we enlist a variety of tools to help mitigate the
cumulative damage to works in areas that are south and west facing,
including UV filtering plexi on the works themselves and UV
filtering blinds.  However, one particular group of oils on canvas
cannot be fitted with UV plexi, so we are investigating the use of
UV films on the window glass.

We have consulted the very helpful article by Boyle, Preusser and
Schaeffer

    <URL:http://cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn32/wn32-1/wn32-104.pdf>

but would like to hear from those of you who have employed UV films
on the window glass.  Our concern is the heat gain on the glass,
which has caused the glass to break.  Any and all insights and
advice would be gratefully received.

Heather Darling Pigat
Collections Manager
University of Toronto Art Centre