Subject: Position at Auckland Museum

Position at Auckland Museum

From: Elizabeth Jurlina <ejurlina<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Junior Conservator
Auckland Museum

Fixed term. Two year appointment

Auckland Museum is committed to developing and sharing engaging
content through its galleries, exhibition, events and educational
programmes and providing strong management of the taonga we care for
underpinned by Te Korahi Maori.

An opportunity exists for a highly motivated and enthusiastic museum
professional to join the Museum at an exciting time of redevelopment
and renewal as a Junior Conservator (two years. fixed-term).

The Junior Conservator will be part of the core project team
dedicated to readying the Auckland Museum's collections for Future
Museum, the Museum's 20-year strategic plan, starting with the
taonga Maori collections.  The Junior Conservator will work within
the Collection Care department which is part of the Collections and
Research Directorate.  Working closely with Conservators, Curators
and Collection Managers, you will be responsible for providing
expert physical care and improvement of the Maori Carving
Collection.

To be successful in this role, you have:

    A degree in conservation

    Member of NZCCM or internationally recognised Conservation
    affiliations

    Experience in treating wooden and painted objects

    Experience in working with taonga Maori

    Knowledge in Tikanga Maori

    Excellent manual dexterity and experiences in making object
    supports

    Excellent spatial sense and ability to work in tight spaces and
    handling large objects

    Up-to-date knowledge of current professional thinking around
    preventative conservation

    Experience working in a museum environment would be an advantage

    Vernon database experience an advantage

    Ability to make timely decisions using sound judgment and
    consultation

    Excellent interpersonal and time management skills

    Excellent communication skills in regards to collection needs

    Tact, discretion and confidentiality

    Exceptional commitment to customer service--a 'customer first'
    approach--involving a warm and approachable manner, an excellent
    standard of knowledge, presentation and maturity to represent
    the Museum in a professional manner

   A current driver's licence

Closing date: 5pm Monday, 28 July 2014

You must be eligible to work in New Zealand to apply for this
position.

This is a great opportunity for someone looking to be part of a
fabulous New Zealand organisation committed to telling our national
and Auckland stories and reflecting our unique place in the South
Pacific.

To apply for this job, please apply online or go to our job site

    <URL:http://careers.aucklandmuseum.com>
    and enter the job code 3770SK

You must apply via our careers site.  Applications submitted
incorrectly will not be processed.

For additional information please contact Elizabeth Jurlina
<ejurlina<-a t->aucklandmuseum< . >com>

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 5, 2014