Subject: Music roll paper

Music roll paper

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Yasmine Kerber <yasminesarah.kerber<-a t->students< . >bfh< . >ch> writes

>Does anyone have knowledge of the production of papers used for
>music rolls in pneumatically-read mechanical music instruments?
>...>
>Unfortunately I have been unable to find useful information on the
>machines and technology, with which they accomplished these special
>requirements for this paper.  Does anyone have more information on
>the production of music roll papers?  Or perhaps have conservation
>experience with music roll papers or related papers, like the
>perforated-tape for data-storage or the jacquard board used in
>textile weaving?

You will find that there are many societies world-wide that can
contact members who have these German player-pianos and other
instruments. In the UK there is the Player Piano Group:

    <URL:http://www.playerpianogroup.org.uk>

You should be able to get advice on certain makes of paper that
deteriorate more quickly than others.

Although I don't own a Welte Mignon piano I occasionally purchase
mixed lots and exchange them with others who do. I do own a few
Hupfeld rolls and these are invariably of finest quality and show
little or no signs of ageing.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 5, 2014