Subject: Electronic cigarettes in museums

Electronic cigarettes in museums

From: Valerie Tomlinson <valerie_tomlinson<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Beverly Perkins <beverlyp<-a t->centerofthewest< . >org> writes

>Are electronic cigarettes harmful to museum collections?

Electronic cigarettes vapourize droplets of nicotine into the air.
What is not inhaled and absorbed into the body of the smoker will
deposit on all surfaces including museum objects.  I believe (but am
not sure) that other compounds such as glycerine are mixed in with
the nicotine.  This means that a sticky, hygroscopic deposit will be
left on surfaces, enhancing corrosion, adhering dust to surfaces,
providing added food for mould and other pests, etc.  I wouldn't
recommend having them in museums (or in my house).

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland Museum

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 5, 2014