Subject: Music roll paper

Music roll paper

From: Yasmine Kerber <yasminesarah.kerber<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 29, 2014
Does anyone have knowledge of the production of papers used for
music rolls in pneumatically-read mechanical music instruments?

I am writing my Master's thesis in conservation on the material,
technological and conservation aspects of music roll papers, most of
which are produced in Germany between 1900 and 1930's.

The main characteristics of these papers like stability, density,
punching property, dimensional stability, air-tightness and
super-calendering are mentioned in historical literature.  I have
been inquiring in several archives, former companies and paper
mills, who provided the paper for music rolls (e.g. for the factory
'Welte and sons' in Freiburg and 'Hupfeld' in Leipzig).  I have made
several analyses on paper samples from historic music rolls,
focussing on physical properties, like freeness, air-tightness and
smoothness, and analysing the fibers and sizing.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find useful information on the
machines and technology, with which they accomplished these special
requirements for this paper.  Does anyone have more information on
the production of music roll papers?  Or perhaps have conservation
experience with music roll papers or related papers, like the
perforated-tape for data-storage or the jacquard board used in
textile weaving?

Yasmine Kerber
Hochschule der Kunste Bern

                   Distributed: Tuesday, July 1, 2014