Subject: Coloured cotton swabs for cleaning tests

Coloured cotton swabs for cleaning tests

From: Tom James Braun <tom.braun<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Judith Lee <judith.lee<-a t->tate< . >org< . >uk> writes

>I am carrying out a collaborative PhD at the Courtauld Institute of
>Art and Tate Britain looking at water-sensitivity in twentieth
>century oil paint.  I am completing a series of solvent sensitivity
>tests on a collection of naturally aged oil paint samples, using
>water, Shellsol D40, stoddards and IMS.  I have been using
>manufactured white cotton swabs for testing coloured paint samples,
>however for the white paint samples it becomes difficult to see when
>paint is removed.  Does anyone know if it is possible to buy
>coloured cotton swabs, which are resistant to solvents?

Qosina sells black cotton swabs that would appear to be permanently
dyed.

    <URL:http://www.qosina.com/catalog/part.asp?partno=10219>

They sell many different types, styles, and sizes of swabs.
Personally one of my favorites are the very small and pointed swabs

    <URL:http://www.qosina.com/catalog/searcher.asp?k=10241&c=All&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0>

Good luck,
Tom

                   Distributed: Tuesday, July 1, 2014