Subject: Sintra board

Sintra board

From: Robert Watson <colorants<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2014
Chris Woods <director<-a t->ncs< . >org< . >uk> writes

>Does anyone have any conservation related information about Sintra
>board as a surface on which hygroscopic material items might be
>displayed?  It is a closed cell PVC sheet material. ...

Sintra PVC board structural supports should be adhered with VBH foam
tape using anhydrous materials for mounts.

Some time ago I investigated a warped photo-print on paper 48 x 96
inches, mounted with Orejet roll bond adhesive on 0.3 mm Sintra
board.  The warping was pronounced by the restraint of a structural
wooden cradle mounted at the rear for hanging.  In addition the
semi-gloss lacquer surface was dull where the cradle attached at the
rear: implying that heat was involved. Hydration inflated the
dimensions of the wooden cradle and the adhesive bond was
inflexible.  The resulting forces caused internal stress to the
Sintra board, causing it to warp.  This implicated epoxy resin,
which is both exothermal and rigid, as to the cause of warping and
dulled lacquer surface.

For Sintra technical assistance contact

    Gary Scott
    270-527-4255