Subject: Call for papers--Archaeological finds and water

Call for papers--Archaeological finds and water

From: Patricia Brozio <brozio<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Call for Papers

"Archaeological Finds versus Water"
5th Conference of the Archaeological Objects Group from the German
Conservator-Restorer Organisation(VDR) e.V.
German Maritime Museum
Bremerhaven
19-21 March 2015

Bremerhaven, which is on the Mouth of the River Weser, was
predestined for the topic water! Archaeological objects define
themselves considering the long term storage context (earth or
water).  Here we would matter about all objects that have a contract
with water or have been degraded by it.

Of course water is crucial for the preservation of finds, moreover
organic material:  Harbor, boats, well, latrine context where water
is part of from the beginning; after excavation, water desalination
cleaning and processes.

For the protection of objects the relative humidity is of course a
major issue.

The floods of last year, in the Elbe region in Germany, shows us the
other side of waters impacts.

Water and finds are linked together with different aspects.
Therefore the Archaeological Objects Group would like to discuss
this topic among concerned party two and a half days with
communications, supplemented with a nice evening program, and bring
us together to share experiences and knowledge.

We invite all colleagues and Partners from other disciplines, from
Germany and abroad, to apply with communication and poster
presentation in order to create vivid and expert forum.  The
Netherlands and Denmark are the direct neighbors from Northern
Germany, therefore directly addressed, but other German and/or
English speaking contribution will be welcome.  We will also support
student's work or short report about specific experience.

The languages of the conference are German and English, but no
simultaneous translation will not be offered.

During the conference we would like to explore the following
sub-themes:

    Underwater archaeology (Maritime and fresh water archaeology).
    Finds and also results linked at all material

    Organic material, that are conserved thanks to the waterlogged
    context for example: Leather, wood, textile etc.

    Objects linked with water: Boats, Harbors, Well, Latrine...

    The use of water for objects treatments (cleaning methods,
    desalination, etc.)

    Relative humidity and its threat for the objects (Preventive
    Conservation and Risk management)

Deadlines: Please focus on the themes suggested and hand in a short
text until 1 October, 2014.

Contact: For general questions concerning the conference.  Reach us
on wasser<-a t->restauratoren< . >de

Event and Social Program: Our group has a nice conference tradition
with lively and enthusiastic exchange.  Therefore, we consider it
important to have nice events location and social program.  The
German Maritime Museum is a member of the Leibniz Research
Association and focuses on research matters like maritime
archaeology and waterlogged wood conservation research topics, which
fit to our conference.

The participants will get the opportunity to visit the entire museum
and the Museum's harbor, but also the city, with its modern Harbor
District, the Historical Museum, the Climate House, the Emigrants
Museum, etc.

An evening presentation and the visit of the conservation Laboratory
of the Archaeological Authorities in Bremen will be part of the
social program.

Accessibility to the sea town is also taken care of.  The connexion
train between Bremen and Bremerhaven takes about half hour, so that
in a maximum of one hour it is possible to be at the Bremen airport.

The conference team from the Archaeological objects group are
available:

    Ute Meyer-Buhr
    Monday-Wednesday
    49 911/1331-276 or
    +49 911 38 23 59
    u.meyer-buhr<-a t->gnm< . >de

    Daniela Straub
    wasser<-a t->restauratoren< . >de

    Tatjana Held
    tatjana.held<-a t->diekonservatoren< . >de

For the German Maritime Museum:

    Amandine Colson M.A.
    +49 471 482 07 11
    colson<-a t->dsm< . >museum