Subject: Leather

Leather

From: Mary Miller <memiller<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2014
One our special collections staff asked about yellow stains on
contemporary white leather furniture.

The furniture (which is functional, not an exhibit piece), is
exposed to light, but not direct sunlight. But yellowing occurs in
spots, rather than all over.  To the best of our knowledge, the
stains aren't the result of spills.

Images are available at:

    <URL:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NM4mGtm7gKd2stelVFdmpCeFgtQTNjdHFvMFNoLXlCNTFv/edit?usp=sharing>
    <URL:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NM4mGtm7gKeUlYbklrWTdMSVJyMUp2aXdUSm9MTnB5eGl3/edit?usp=sharing>
    <URL:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NM4mGtm7gKeHpvWktmVVlJNjhPc3dDb0FrQ25yX0NHdlA4/edit?usp=sharing>

Any thoughts about what might be the causing the localized stains,
how the damage might be treated, or what could be done to prevent
further damage?

Mary Miller
Director of Collection Management and Preservation
University of Minnesota Libraries
31A Wilson Library
309 19th Ave. South
Minneapolis MN 55455