Subject: Spiral bound sketchbooks

Spiral bound sketchbooks

From: Alison Norton <a.norton<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2014
I am researching metal spiral or coil bound notebooks and attempting
to ascertain the earliest production dates.

The Spiral Binding Company opened in New York in 1932, with the
first US patent for apparatus for spiral binding dating from 1934.
However the original patent assignee was from Italy and the French
company La Reliure Spirale was probably producing spiral bound
sketchbooks prior to 1930.  In the collection of Moderna Museet we
have a metal coil sketchbook with an inscribed date of November 1929
and drawings by Harry Harryan.

Perforations have long been used in binding but I am specifically
interested in the dates of mass produced sketchbooks with
perforations and metal coils from the early 1930's or before.  If
anyone has information on works in institutional or private
collections, or any possible contacts for further information on the
history and background of spiral binding please contact me.

Alison Norton
Papperskonservering, Moderna Museet
Stockholm 10327
Sweden