Subject: Geographic Information Systems (GIS)

Geographic Information Systems (GIS)

From: Evangelia Kyriazi <kyriazievangelia<-a>
Date: Sunday, June 8, 2014
Karen Fix <fixit_up<-a t->yahoo< . >com> writes

>I would like to hear from those of you who use, or are aware of,
>Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in the cultural heritage field.
>That includes architectural, archaeological, and art.  I'm trying to
>get a sense of the extent of use within our field, how it is used,
>and the type of software.

Being a conservator with an MSc in GIS I was really glad to read
your question!

GIS has more applications to conservators that you could possibly
imagine and it's impossible to describe in just one message.  There
are many softwares, depending on what you want to do.  I personally
use ArcGIS by ESRI, but I've also used ERDAS, especially for remote
sensing.  GIS can be used for mapping, creating databases, doing
spatial analysis, predictions, digitizing, evaluating conservation
state, evaluating interaction of conservation state to several
parameters (i.e. ground elevation, wind direction, proximity to
water etc.) and many other things.

In the following links you can download one of my papers about using
GIS in order to digitally fill-in missing areas of an early 20th
century handmade map.

    <URL:https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221197086_Use_of_Geoinformatics_for_the_Digitization_and_Visualization_of_Cartographic_Heritage_The_Case_of_an_Early_1920s_Mytilene_Town_Map?ev=prf_pub>
    <URL:https://www.academia.edu/3720507/Use_of_Geoinformatics_for_the_Digitization_and_Visualization_of_Cartographic_Heritage_The_Case_of_an_Early_1920s_Mytilene_Town_Map>
    <URL:http://teiion.academia.edu/EvangeliaKyriazi>