Subject: Consolidating chalkboard

Consolidating chalkboard

From: Vanessa Wiggin <vanessa<-a>
Date: Saturday, June 7, 2014
Susan Russick <susan-russick<-a t->northwestern< . >edu> writes

>We are anticipating the accession of a green colored chalkboard
>(about 4 feet x 6 feet) featuring a multitude of economics equations
>in chalk by a Nobel laureate professor.  We would like to
>consolidate the chalk to retain the writing.  ...

I worked on a chalkboard some years ago.  I found that the chalk
itself did not really require consolidation as it seemed quite
stable (I think it was around 50 years old) and would be displayed
in a cabinet.  The black paint on the board itself was locally
consolidated where necessary with 5% Plextol.

Vanessa Wiggin
Director of Conservation
ArtWorks Conservation
+44 402 137 826