Subject: Coloured cotton swabs for cleaning tests

Coloured cotton swabs for cleaning tests

From: Judith Lee <judith.lee<-a>
Date: Monday, June 2, 2014
I am carrying out a collaborative PhD at the Courtauld Institute of
Art and Tate Britain looking at water-sensitivity in twentieth
century oil paint.  I am completing a series of solvent sensitivity
tests on a collection of naturally aged oil paint samples, using
water, Shellsol D40, stoddards and IMS.  I have been using
manufactured white cotton swabs for testing coloured paint samples,
however for the white paint samples it becomes difficult to see when
paint is removed.  Does anyone know if it is possible to buy
coloured cotton swabs, which are resistant to solvents?

Judith Lee
Courtauld Institute of Art
Somerset House
Strand