Subject: Consolidating chalkboard

Consolidating chalkboard

From: Susan Russick <susan-russick<-a>
Date: Monday, June 2, 2014
We are anticipating the accession of a green colored chalkboard
(about 4 feet x 6 feet) featuring a multitude of economics equations
in chalk by a Nobel laureate professor.  We would like to
consolidate the chalk to retain the writing.  Since this item is
valued for information and not its aesthetic qualities, we are
willing to accept the risk of saturating colors of the board or
chalks, but would like to retain the matte appearance.  I have not
seen this item yet, don't know what materials are used in making
green chalkboards and do not know if multiple colors of chalk are
used.

I have found some information on consolidating chalkboards using
methylcellulose applied in an ultrasonic mist.  This approach sounds
feasible, but I was wondering about the possible use of other
consolidants (Aquazol? B72?) or faster application methods.  I would
like to consolidate the object in situ, to avoid damage while moving
it across campus.  Working in the professor's office means I would
need to use a low fume or aqueous consolidant and it would be
fantastic to get the job done in one day.

Susan Russick
Special Collections Conservator
Northwestern University Library
1970 Campus Drive