Subject: Call for papers--Conference on changing practices in contemporary art making and conservation

Call for papers--Conference on changing practices in contemporary art making and conservation

From: Erma Hermens <erma.hermens<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Call for papers

International Conference
"Authenticity in transition: Changing practices in contemporary art
    making and conservation"
Glasgow
1-2 December 2014

Organised by the University of Glasgow, and the Glasgow School of
Art

This two-day conference concerns the way changing artistic practice
alters or affects how we interpret, conceive, conserve, collect and
curate art with a special reference to the concept of authenticity
and artistic intent.

Themes include but are by no means restricted to:

    The artist's view on processes, materials, collaboration,
    preservation

    Shifting authenticities of process and materiality in
    contemporary art practice

    Collaborative, participatory, performative, social processes in
    contemporary art production

    Distributed practices:  from fabrication and collaboration to
    authorship

    Creation and completion: the evolving artwork in artistic
    practice, conservation and curation

    Innovation: Smart materials and collaborative practices with
    scientists, engineers and designers

    Historical perspectives: impacts of changing artistic practice
    on conservatIon, curation and art history e.g. the impact of
    digital technology

We welcome papers for 25-minute presentations, as well as short 5
minute papers relating to Posters and PhD research.  We also invite
presentations/performances from artists around the theme of the
conference.  Papers will be peer-reviewed and selected papers will
be published.

Our intention is to hold the conference at the Glasgow School of Art
in the new Reid Building Auditorium.  However, due to the recent
fire in the Mackintosh Building, we will confirm our venue closer to
the event.  But of course we hope to meet you at the GSA, an
environment internationally regarded for its nurturing of
contemporary artistic practice.  Please send your 250 word abstracts
(for talk or poster) and your contact details to
erma.hermens<-a t->glasgow< . >ac< . >uk by 31 July 2014.

The Conference is supported by the NECCAR network (Network for
Conservation of Contemporary Art Research), funded by The
Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)

    <URL:http://www.tate.org.uk/about/projects/neccar-network-conservation-contemporary-art-research>

Contact:

    Dr Erma Hermens
    Associate Professor in Technical Art History
    School for Culture and Creative Arts
    College of Arts
    University of Glasgow
    erma.hermens<-a t->glasgow< . >ac< . >uk

                   Distributed: Friday, June 6, 2014