Subject: Julie Tyrlik and Elizabeth Ralph awarded CXD Nicholas Hadgraft Scholarships

Julie Tyrlik and Elizabeth Ralph awarded CXD Nicholas Hadgraft Scholarships

From: Eve Parkin <eve<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Conservation By Design (CXD) has announced that Julie Tyrlik, a
second year student from the Institut National du Patrimoine in
Paris, France, is the lucky recipient of this year's coveted
Nicholas Hadgraft Memorial Scholarship.

The renowned scholarship, which is now in its 10th year, offers one
conservator each year the opportunity to learn more about unique
bookbinding techniques from a host of well known and highly regarded
tutors at the acclaimed Montefiascone Book Conservation Summer
School in Italy.

Julie, who has previously interned at Villa Medicis in Rome under
the tuition of Paolo Dotti, intends to use her scholarship to attend
three of the courses: Semi-limp Parchment Binding styles with Anne
Hillam, 12th Century English Limp Tawed Skin Binding with Jim
Bloxham and Shaun Thompson, and Embroidered Turkish Binding with
Kristine Rose and Gaia Petrella.

She commented:

   "I am conscious that having knowledge of bookbinding structures
    can be important for book conservation, and that practice is the
    best way to develop a better understanding of them.

   "I am really interested by the approach the Summer School offers
    by allowing us to recreate some structures.  Everything we do
    will be based on an attentive observation.  This will help me to
    learn the skills used by ancient bookbinders and provide a
    better appreciation of the technics."

Julie will receive UKP1,500 towards the cost of attending the Summer
School, which takes place over four weeks in July and August in the
medieval town of Montefiascone, Italy.

Conservation By Design's Dirk Hendrickx, added:

   "Every year we continue to be astounded by the quality of the
    applications we receive, and this year has been no exception.
    The scholarship is now so highly regarded within the
    conservation sector that we are receiving interest from all over
    the globe.

   "In fact, the entries this year were so impressive that, for the
    second year running, we have decided to award a runner-up prize
    too.  Elizabeth Ralph, a trainee book conservator from Cornwall,
    demonstrated considerable skill and passion for her craft, so we
    are delighted to invite her to attend her preferred course at
    the summer school."

The scholarship is offered in memory of Dr Nicholas Hadgraft, a good
friend of Conservation By Design who died tragically in 2004.
Nicholas was a fellow of the University of the Arts London and a key
collaborator on the "Squelch Drying" technique devised by Stuart
Welch (the founder of CXD), the most effective way to date of drying
valuable rare books.

Eve Parkin
Senior Account Manager
Haslimann Taylor PR