Subject: Potato starch adhesives

Potato starch adhesives

From: Mary-Lou Florian <mflorian<-a>
Date: Sunday, May 11, 2014
Ayesha Fuentes <ayesha.fuentes<-a t->gmail< . >com> writes

>I am doing research on the use of starch pastes as adhesives for the
>application of lining material.  I have been comparing wheat starch
>paste, maida flour paste, and potato starch in a laboratory with
>very basic facilities and resources.  In our lab, we are using the
>pastes to adhere cotton linings to cotton canvas paintings with our
>main interests being long-term flexibility, ease of preparation, and
>strength.  So far, potato starch has been very promising and we're
>submitting it to aging tests to confirm our results.

Your results are interesting because potato has no gluten and that
is the adhesive property in starch adhesives. Potato starch grain
size is much smaller than the two wheat starches, it may influence
adhesion.  Good luck in your research.

Mary-Lou Florian
Research Associate Royal BC Museum

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 17, 2014