Subject: Potato starch adhesives

Potato starch adhesives

From: Ayesha Fuentes <ayesha.fuentes<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 6, 2014
I am doing research on the use of starch pastes as adhesives for the
application of lining material.  I have been comparing wheat starch
paste, maida flour paste, and potato starch in a laboratory with
very basic facilities and resources.  In our lab, we are using the
pastes to adhere cotton linings to cotton canvas paintings with our
main interests being long-term flexibility, ease of preparation, and
strength.  So far, potato starch has been very promising and we're
submitting it to aging tests to confirm our results.

Does anyone have experience working with potato starch as an
adhesive in a conservation setting?  Please respond with any
knowledge or information; I've been reading literature but I'd love
to hear some stories if anyone has any experience.

Ayesha Fuentes
UCLA/Getty Conservation Training Program, 3rd year intern
Conservation Section, Division for Cultural Properties
Dept of Culture
Thimphu, Bhutan

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 11, 2014