Subject: Paintings on asbestos millboard

Paintings on asbestos millboard

From: Laurent Sozzani <l.sozzani<-a>
Date: Monday, May 5, 2014
Monona Rossol <actsnyc<-a t->cs< . >com> writes

>Laurent Sozzani <l.sozzani<-a t->planet< . >nl> writes
>
>>I do like and appreciate M. Rossol's great contribution regarding
>>health and safety (see Conservation DistList Instance: 27:42
>>Wednesday, April 30, 2014) but when we live in a world that allows
>>antique violin bows, flutes and other objects to be destroyed at the
>>whim of customs officers because of a small bit of ivory they may
>>(or may not contain as it is often bone!) or the recently reported
>>shortage of W&N #7 water-colour brushes because sable furs are now
>>restricted entry into the US ...
>
>My gosh!  I deal with worker health and safety.  Don't blame me for
>the destruction of artifacts as a result of the international laws
>protecting wildlife.

Please don't misunderstand my appreciation for you.  Your overall
contribution to personal safety cannot be overstated and your
guidance regarding safety is always well taken.

My warning was simply meant to be about involving government
regulators, who might very well confiscate and then even destroy the
paintings! Regulators are not always as well-educated, straight
forward or honest as one might assume.  Regulations (and regulators)
often over-ride simple rational solutions, not to mention simple
corruption within the dangerous materials removal business.  My
point is aimed at taking responsibility oneself, which again is
where your guidance comes with great benefit.

My comments about ivory and 'sable' brushes were meant to get the
point across, as well as, strike a cord in the "politically correct"
complacency that seems to permeate the US regarding authoritarian
behaviour of powers to be.

My apologies for any offence, as most certainly none was meant
towards you and all your good work.

Laurent Sozzani

                   Distributed: Sunday, May 11, 2014