Subject: Sliding panels and earthquakes

Sliding panels and earthquakes

From: Valerie Tomlinson <vtomlinson<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 24, 2014
Joachim Huber <joachim.huber<-a t->prevart< . >ch> writes

>One of our clients wonders about the behavior of sliding panels
>(rolling racks, pull out panels) in museum storages in case of an
>earthquake.  Has somebody experience in installing sliding panels in
>a potentially seismic zone?  Are there any precautions taken in
>seismic zones (e.g. stronger construction of the panels, special
>fixing to floor or ceiling, special clamps, blocking systems etc.)?

Rolling racks, sliding panels, etc. should have locks on them and
always be locked in place when moved to the desired position in case
of earthquake.  When finished accessing the area, the shelves,
racks, drawers, etc.  should be rolled closed and locked.  Avoiding
open gaps between the shelving units when not in use reduces the
risk of shelves toppling and dominoeing.  They move as a unit and
the boxes stay on the shelves.  There are also a variety of
earthquake straps and barriers to keep things on shelves, and
keeping things in boxes also helps.  Ensure cases against walls are
fixed to the walls.  I haven't personally experienced an earthquake
(or at least, not a big one), but these are the measures we use.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira