Subject: Preservation Week

Preservation Week

From: Miriam Nelson <nelsonm1<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 8, 2014
Please share with interested colleagues or consider listing yourself
as a resource on the Event Map:

Preservation Week <URL:http://www.ala.org/preservationweek> is a
presentation of the Association for Library Collections and
Technical Services (ALCTS), and will be held April 27-May 3, 2014.

Two free webinars will offered during that week: on April 29
affordable ways to preserve family keepsakes will be highlighted and
on May 1, 2014 the session will cover the best ways to preserve
scrapbooks.  The webinars will each begin at 1 p.m. CDT and will
last about one hour.  Registration is required.  To register and
learn more go to ALCTS Events

    <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents>

The webinars are:

    Low-Cost Ways to Preserve Family Archives
    <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042914>
    Tuesday, April 29

    Presented by Karen E. K. Brown, preservation librarian for the
    University at Albany, SUNY University Libraries.  What can we do
    to protect our collectables from damage even if we don't think
    we have a perfect place to keep them? Learn about possible risks
    from handling and the environment, and practical, inexpensive
    ideas to keep collections safe to help ensure what you have can
    be shared for many years to come.  ALCTS thanks Archival
    Products <URL:http://www.archival.com> for sponsoring this
    webinar an supporting Preservation Week.

    Preserving Scrapbooks

    <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/050114>
    Thursday, May 1, 2014

    Presented by Melissa Tedone, conservator at Iowa State
    University Library.  Scrapbooks can be challenging to preserve
    since they often contain a diversity of materials.  Learn about
    common problems with long-term preservation of scrapbooks and
    identify the most stable materials and bindings for new
    scrapbooks.  ALCTS thanks Gaylord <URL:http://gaylord.com/> for
    sponsoring this webinar and supporting Preservation Week.

    There's still time to learn how to create a Preservation Week
    event. The recording of the February 12, 2014 webinar, "How to
    Host a Preservation Week Event
    <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/021214>
    " is available at no charge any time.

    Simple ways to celebrate include:

        Invite your patrons to watch one of the two live webinar
        sessions or the webinar recording (which will be made
        available immediately after)

        Download and print bookmarks
        <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/sites/ala.org.alcts/files/content/confevents/preswk/pdfs/bkmk_QuickTips14.pdf>
        and flyers from our online Event Toolkit:
        <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/preswk/plan>

Be sure to share the details about your event by posting to our
Event map and speaker locator:

    <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/preswk/events-speakers>

ALCTS is a division of the American Library Association.

Miriam Nelson
Head of Preservation, Ohio University Libraries
Hwa-Wei Lee Library Annex
Southeast Ohio Regional Library Depository
205 Columbus Road
Athens OH 45701

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 13, 2014