Subject: Preservation Week

Preservation Week

From: Jana L. Dambrogio <jld<-a>
Date: Monday, April 7, 2014
Preservation Week Events at MIT
April 29-May 1, 2014

Celebrate Preservation Week April 29- May 1, 2014 with a series of
free events hosted by Curation and Preservation Services at the MIT
Libraries.

    <URL:http://libraries.mit.edu/news/preservation-events/14318/>

    <URL:http://libraries.mit.edu/preservation/>

All events are free and open to the public (except the Monument Men
screening).

Tuesday,
April 29, 2014 starting at 12 pm

    12 pm       The Art and Science of Document Security: Past,
                Present, and Future
                Room 32-144
                <URL:http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=32>

                A series of talks presenting research on historical,
                contemporary, and novel methods for creating secure
                documents in all forms.  Join us for one session or
                several.  There will be breaks for refreshments and
                questions throughout.

    12:15 pm   "Our Marathon": The Boston Bombing Digital Archive:
                Our Marathon <URL:http://marathon.neu.edu> is a
                crowd-sourced digital archive of stories, photos,
                video, and social media related to the Boston
                Marathon bombings and aftermath.  Join us for a
                brown bag talk with Jim McGrath and Alicia Peaker
                from the Our Marathon team for an overview of the
                project and the archive.

    1:00 pm     Opening Remarks

    1:15 pm     Our Digital Lives: Protecting Our Data In Use and At
                Rest
                Michael Halsall, Senior Network and Information
                Security Analyst at MIT

    1:45 pm     Benign Neglect No More: How Document Security
                Affects Access to Memory
                Kari R. Smith, Digital Archivist, MIT Libraries
                Institute Archives and Special Collections

    2:45 pm     Historic Letterlocking: The Art and Security of
                Letterwriting
                Jana Dambrogio, Thomas F. Peterson (1957)
                Conservator, MIT Libraries, Curation and
                Preservation Services

    4:00 pm     Thanks for the Memory: 50+ Years of Computing at MIT
                exhibit
                Room 14N-130
                <URL:http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=14>

                Gallery visit led by Nora Murphy, Archivist for
                Reference, Outreach, and Instruction, MIT Institute
                Archives and Special Collections, Maihaugen Gallery
                <URL:http://libraries.mit.edu/exhibits/maihaugen/>

    8:00 pm     The Monuments Men Movie Screening, Room 26-100
                <URL:http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=2>
                Enjoy a free screening of SONY's The Monuments Men
                <URL:http://www.monumentsmen.com>

                George Clooney portrays Cambridge local art
                conservation hero George Stout who saved cultural
                heritage from ruin during WWII.
                (Free with MIT ID).

Wednesday,
April 30, 2014
11 am-3 pm

     11 am      Our Marathon "Share Your Story" event
                Room 10-105
                <URL:http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=10>

                Representatives from the Our Marathon
                <URL:http://marathon.neu.edu> online collection of
                Boston Marathon Bombing experiences will be on
                campus to document the personal experiences of the
                MIT community during and after the 2013 Boston
                Marathon Bombing.

May 1, 2014

    2-3 pm      Scrapbook Preservation webinar
                Room 14N-132
                <URL:http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=14>
                Interested in preserving your own items? Join us for
                a free webinar about scrapbook preservation hosted
                by the American Library Association.

                Melissa Tedone, Conservator of the Parks Library
                Preservation Department
                <URL:http://parkslibrarypreservation.wordpress.com>
                at Iowa State University, will talk about older
                scrapbooks as well as how to identify the most
                stable materials for new scrapbooks.

All events are free and open to the public (except the Monuments Men
movie screening).  For more information contact
preservation-team<-a t->mit< . >edu, or see the Preservation Week
website

    <URL:http://libguides.mit.edu/preservationweek>

Useful Links:

    ALA Preservation Week
    <URL:http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/preswk>

    <URL:http://www.atyourlibrary.org/passiton>

    Preservation activities, tips, and information
    <URL:https://www.facebook.com/preservationweek>

    Society of American Archivists Preservation Week Page
    <URL:http://www2.archivists.org/initiatives/mayday-saving-our-archives/preservation-week-saving-heritage-and-memories>

Jana L Dambrogio
Thomas F. Peterson (1957) Conservator
MIT Libraries, Curation and Preservation Services
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Building #14-0513
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 USA

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 13, 2014